Copyright 2019. Dromahair Arts & Recreation Centre. All Rights Reserved.
Dromahair Park is located on the banks of the River Bonet just outside the picturesque village of Dromahair, Co. Leitrim. The Eircode for the park is F91 KR77.
Please follow our Facebook Page for regular news and updates.
Dromahair (Irish: Droim Dhá Thiar) meaning "Ridge of Two Demons" is a small village in County Leitrim, Ireland. Dromahair is 10 km (6 mi) from Manorhamilton and 17 km (10 mi) from Sligo town.
The village takes its name from the ridge of high ground on which it is located above the Bonnet river. The ridge was the site of the important early church site of Drumlease, a Patrician foundation of the fifth century AD.
During the medieval period Dromahair was the capital of Breifne - a Gaelic confederation that stretched from Kells in County Meath across County Cavan and north County Leitrim to County Sligo. It was the seat of the O'Rourkes - the ancient Kings of Brieifne. The ruins of the O'Rourke castle (built c. 950 AD) and banqueting hall are present in the village.
Creevelea Abbey, located on the outskirts of the village, is a Franciscan Friary which was founded in 1508 and was in use until the 17th century when the Franciscans were forced to leave by the Cromwellian army. The nave, choir, tower and transept are well preserved and it is now protected as a national monument. In addition, a fortified house constructed for Sir William Villiers (c. 1629) is located in the village.
Dromahair has several pubs and restaurants. It also contains a post office and public library, two convenience stores and general shops, hairdressers, butchers, garage, national school, two historic churches (Roman Catholic and Church of Ireland) as well as a health centre. Tourist attractions include Creevelea Abbey, the Tour De Humbert Cycling Trail (which passes through the village), Ard Nahoo Health Farm, Parke's Castle situated beside Lough Gill on the Sligo-Dromahair road (R286, 5 km (3 mi) NW of the village) and the Wild Rose Waterbus which offers tours of Lough Gill between Sligo and Parke's Castle.